Monday, August 12, 2013

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday: Timmy Failure: Mistakes Were Made

I picked up Timmy Failure because I'm always looking for a like-Wimpy-Kid graphic novel with a great voice, and I thought this might be a good book for my 2nd grader. My 4th and 6th grader blasted through this in a day.

Timmy Failure: Mistakes Were Made by Stephan Pastis

Published in Feb 2013

Other books in the series:
Now Look What You've Done (coming Feb 2014)

The Hook: Timmy Failure has his own detective agency and unravels several mysteries around the neighborhood.

Why I loved it: Voice and humor. If you want something like Wimpy Kid, this is it. Although the audience is much younger. Still, Timmy is quite funny. He's a detective who misses the obvious clue and the results are hilarious. I would recommend this to both boys and girls, definitely for reluctant readers who liked Wimpy Kid but it is younger middle grade (7-9 yr olds). Although my 11 yr old did read it, but only because it was in the house and I was raving about how funny it was.

Want More? Check out this AMAZING author site. Seriously love!

Have you read any great graphic novels like Wimpy Kid? What are they? My 2nd and 4th graders want to know.




7 comments:

  1. DIARY OF A WIMPY KID is my guilty pleasure. Now I'm going to look up TIMMY FAILURE too, on your say-so, Brooke!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the WIMPY KIDS...or any like them. I think I like a book to look like a book so the stick drawings and scrawled print bug my desire for orderliness or something. But my own son adored them, and even though he's now 15, he still picks them up in a bookstore and browses. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been meaning to read Wimpy Kid but somehow I kept forgetting about it. This is my nudge to remedy that and also try this book. It sounds so adorable.

    ~Akoss

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, yes! Timmy Failure is hilarious. I blogged about it a few months ago. I've read all the Wimpy Kids too, except the newest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't heard of this, so thank you! Have your kids read Rapunzel's Revenge? All three of my kids (14,11, and 6) love Rapunzel's Revenge and Calamity Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not read Timmy Failure, but it sounds good. I love humor in books.

    Mom Made Us Write This on Summer Vacation is a new series that is a Wimpy-Kid-like book for middle graders.

    Another new graphic novel like, Wimpy Kid like book is Hotdogger also for middle grades. Just an FYI. First time here and I like your site.

    (no longer at blogger http://kid-lit-reviews.com is new site)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen this one around, but didn't know much about it. Thanks for sharing. I will have to check out Timmy Failure. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete