Monday, June 24, 2013

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday: What My Kids Are Reading

First things first, I need to announce the winner of the Chase Tinker and the House of Magic ebooks:

ZombiMom

Congrats, the stories are fast and fun.

Now for today's pick or rather my kid's picks. I challenged my kids to read a book a week this summer and then I wanted them to post a review for MMGM. Bryn just finished the second book in The Accidental Adventure, she blew through it in 3 days which is kind of a big deal. But she needed to get to bed tonight because we have swim team in the morning. So look for her review next week. This week I thought I would spotlight what they are actually reading because I have a huge stack of middle grade books in my book room. It is always interesting to me what they pick and why. So I thought I would post those for today.

Lauren's (11 yr old) pick this week:
Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

Goodreads Blurb: Twelve-year-old Meggie learns that her father, who repairs and binds books for a living, can "read" fictional characters to life when one of those characters abducts them and tries to force him into service.

Why she picked it: Because she has literally read all my middle grade and this was the last book on the shelf. This is impressive because I have bookcases of MG and she even blew through my TBR pile. So why did she save this book for last? Because the print is small and the book is thick, it's a bit intimidating for a first book in a series. Also, she saw the movie many years ago and it sorta scared her, so she has been nervous to read it. She's 2/3 through and loving it. I have promised to go get the other two books in the series once she finishes.



Bryn's (9 yr old) pick this week:
The Invisible Tower by Nils Johnson-Shelton

Goodreads Blurb: Part of the spell has already been broken.
The first stones have begun to crumble.
In Artie Kingfisher’s world, wizards named Merlin, fire-breathing dragons, and swords called Excalibur exist only in legends and lore—until the day his video game Otherworld springs to life.
You are special, Arthur, Says the mysterious message in his game.

Why she picked it: The cover art. Mostly the dragon and the boy holding a sword which reminds her of Minecraft. Did I mention she's my tomboy? I love it. She just started it but I had to threaten lights out tonight---that's always a good sign of a good book.


Ava's (7 yr old) pick:
Beezus and Ramona by Beverly Cleary

Goodreads BlurbNine-year-old Beezus Quimby has her hands full with her little sister, Ramona. Sure, other people have little sisters that bother them sometimes, but is there anyone in the world like Ramona? Whether she's taking one bite out of every apple in a box or secretly inviting 15 other 4-year-olds to the house for a party, Ramona is always making trouble--and getting all the attention. Every big sister can relate to the trials and tribulations Beezus must endure. Old enough to be expected to take responsibility for her little sister, yet young enough to be mortified by every embarrassing plight the precocious preschooler gets them into, Beezus is constantly struggling with her mixed-up feelings about the exasperating Ramona.

Why she picked it: She loved the movie and wanted to read the book. It's a bit hard for her, but we plow through a chapter every night. This was my favorite series as a kid. Love these books.

2 comments:

  1. I need to read Inkheart myself! I feel that is a Hole in my MG fantasy reading...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This may be a double post...I think blogger ate the first one for an evening snack! Anyhow, great choices for your picks and I love seeking why you picked them Go go GO with that book a week reading. Looking forward to hearing about more of your choices.

    ReplyDelete