Thursday, May 5, 2011

Where Do You Get Your Ideas?

My story ideas come from the crazy that spews out of my kids on a daily basis.
  • One idea came out of a story I made up with my girls and then afterward realized, hey, that plot isn't half bad.
  • Another idea sparked out of my daughter's mouth on a walk.
  • Another came while watching my daughter make a blanket fort to keep monsters out.
Yesterday two of my daughters busily watercolored while I cleaned my kitchen. When they were done, my 4-yr-old brought me a crayon to write her story on the picture:

The people hid because of the monster damned. (I don't even know where she came up with damn...it could a beaver dam but I didn't want to call attention to it.)

But it was silly because the monsters were nice and wanted to be their friends.

(The picture looked like a freudian ink blot. )

Just thought I would throw this out as a writer prompt in case anyone needed it.

Where do you get your ideas for writing middle grade?

1 comment:

  1. My stories always build from fascinating historical times. Then I build middle grade characters that fit in the stories. The settings are times I wish I could have lived in. The characters have qualities I hope I would have had if I'd live through those times.

    My working inspiration usually hits while walking my dog (a daily thing). Sometimes my kids are with me and our talks provide insight into my character's qualities.

    ReplyDelete